Need help? Please let us know in the UMEP Community.
3.1. Meteorological Data: Download data (ERA5)¶
(February/2020) This plugin replaces the WATCH download plugin. To make use of this plugin you need to make additional configurations outside QGIS/UMEP (see below).
Name Institution Ting Sun Reading Fredrik Lindberg Gothenburg
Basic meteorological variables are required for most applications in the UMEP processor. If observed data are not available for a particular location, hourly data can be retrieved from the global the Coopernicus programme and thier Climate Data Store. This plugin allows climate reanalysis data to be extracted for a specific location and period of interest (1979-2020), and transformed into formatted forcing files suitable for models within UMEP.
|Wind speed [m s-1]||10 m instantaneous|
|Air temperature [K]||2 m instantaneous|
|Specific humidity [kg kg-1]||2 m instantaneous|
|Pressure [Pa]||Instantaneous surface pressure|
|Incoming shortwave radiation [W m-2]||Average over previous 1 hour|
|Incoming longwave radiation [W m-2]||Average over previous 1 hour|
|Rainfall rate [kg m-2 s-1]||Average over previous 1 hour|
- Configuring your computer to enable download：
- Obtaining ERA5 data via UMEP：
- Running the tool：
The downloader is separated into two sections:
Download climate data: Retrieves ERA5 data for all variables for the location and period of interest.
- Latitude and longitude: WGS84 co-ordinates of the study location. Data is extracted from the ERA5 grid cell that contains these co-ordinates.
- Start time and End Time: The time range of data to be downloaded
- Spatial resolution: The ERA5 data are provided for half-degree grid boxes. In regions with substantial heterogeneity within these grid boxes data at the grid-box scale may be not be representative of your study site (e.g. mountainous regions, urban areas).